Thursday, November 22, 2012

Problems!! Who doesn't go through one?


Problems!! Who doesn't go through one?    
All of us have missed at least one important date or dead line in our entire life. May it be a school project or picking up a pre-ordered item or if you got lucky enough, you might have missed your own wedding.Jokes apart, the point here is not that you missed it, it is weather you made a come back on it or not. And if you did, how subtle was it?



    I had a friend who was on the verge of losing his scholarship because of one such mistake. He missed his homework deadline online by 3 hours because he was in the so called "Thanks Giving weekend mood". We were playing cards as he had come over to my house for the weekend from NY. After all my cousins left and were done playing, he somehow  remembered that he was supposed to submit his assignment by 12 midnight. It was almost 3 AM. He started counting his grades to double check on the final adjustment on how many more points he needed in order to get the scholarship. He figured he'll almost be 6 percent short for it, and apparently the assignment that he missed would have covered that six percent. He started freaking out about how he needed a hundred on every upcoming test in order to not miss the scholarship and started assuming that he'll be fine if he gets those hundreds. 

  All this time I was holding my words back because he takes my words way too seriously. I didn't want him to be depressed, but in a Major like Computer Engineering, it is next to impossible to get a total 100 on your exams. I couldn't resist and I said, "So you think that you can manage to get a 100 on every upcoming test including your semester's project?" He knew it was impossible, so he nodded and said "NO". "So what are you wasting your energy for? Since the past 20 minutes you are talking about getting a hundred and being fine on the scholarship issue when it is technically impossible" I said. He nodded. There was an exclamation on his face, looked like he was expecting for a solution from me.

      I am a kind of person who is not a perfectionist, but you can call me very close to a perfectionist. I want the right thing at the right time, and I like to do the right thing at the right time. So for the people who I care about, I try to make their lives perfect or close to perfect. The people who don't know me much, think that I interfere in two of my best friends lives. Believe me or not, my best friends love me for being such a nosy person and to question them about their choice or decisions  My other best friend who is not a part of this scenario, thinks she would die without me being in her life. 

      The moral of the story is that if you miss a dead line or your own wedding (luckily), do not assume that you've lost everything in life. There are millions of people who miss the train of success by 10 mili-seconds, you could be one of those. I am not saying that you should be negative about all what you miss either. sometimes, it is all for good like the holy books say. But you should definitely think of alternatives.I believe in back up plans. Everything in life should have a back up plan. for example, if I have an 8 AM class and if I go to bed late, before going to bed, I think of what would I do if my 6.30 alarm doesn't help me wake up? Or if I fail a test, no matter how well I am prepared and if I can't get into my major for 0.02 GPA points, what would me my backup plans? There is a back up plan to everything, you only need to think a little harder and when it clicks, work a little harder.Every person has success as their destiny. The only difference is, some take it longer to figure it out and some quit before they can figure it out. I'd say, never quit. That is the worst you could do to yourself. A tiny ant fails 100,000 times before successfully getting the food up the hill, but it never gives up. The ants began farming about 50 million years before humans thought to raise their own crops. If a small creature like ant can do it, than why not you? 

 Coming back to my friend, he finally decided that he would still try and complete the assignment that night and send it to the professor, although it was next to impossible that the professor to accept it. But who knows, someday you might just get lucky and be just work fine. If that was the day, his professor would've said yes! Well, that didn't happen, life is not a fairy tale. But we came up with a back up plan for him. Since he was an international student, his only choice was to look up for an internship and find a job on campus as soon as possible so that he could make up for the scholarship money. It wasn't really about the money, it was about the carelessness because of which he lost the scholarship. He had to make up for it. It is a along term plan, but I'm sure it will be a successful one. 
Best wishes to him.
Never give up.
Success will kiss your feet one day.


1 comment: